Pages

Thursday, 4 December 2014

Today Was A Great Day

As soon as I opened my curtain this morning, I knew it was going to be a great day.

Mokpo's first big snowfall.

Honestly, you would think I have never seen snow before, based on how ecstatic I was and how many pictures I took. I'm surprised I didn't miss my bus!


Waiting for the bus

It was such a beautiful first snowfall, and I have to say, snow suits Korea quite well. My bus ride to work was quite magical, as all my surroundings I had just grown accustomed to looked brand new. Usually I practice reading Hangul (Korean alphabet), or read my Korean phrasebook during my commute to work. But today, I did not look down. My eyes were captured by South Korea's newfound beauty in the snow, and I found myself reminiscing on my time here so far while gazing out the window.

To me, the snow represented a sense of being home. Before today, although it was December and Christmas season was upon us, it simply did not feel like it. Today reminded me of my home and all the special people back in Ottawa, and gave me the familiar sensations I've felt in past Decembers. This snow also brought a different sensation; that I can also call this place home. I had previously felt at home in South Korea, but this snow brought new meaning to it.

Once arriving to school, I was greeted by my adorable elementary school kids who were just as excited, if not more excited than I was. Snowmen being built, snowballs flying through the air. Today was going to be a great day.

Walk to Elementary School



After changing my wet socks and hanging my snow covered coat, I headed to my first class with my co-teacher. You could feel the difference and excitement in the air, all because of this snow. We started the class off by playing Frozen's "Do You Want To Build A Snowman", fittingly. Of course, this only got them more excited about the snow, and before long, they were begging to go play outside. Since this class was a review lesson, we breezed through it, and then headed outside. They were so happy, and so was I!

Now here I am, sitting at my desk, 4 great classes later. Teachers playing different Christmas songs, debating which ones to sing for their upcoming Christmas festival. An instrumental Gayageum (Korean traditional string instrument) version of Silent Night currently playing.

It feels like Christmas in Korea. It feels like home.

-L2K

P.S., Just when I thought today couldn't get any better, I booked my flight to Thailand!

Have you ever been to Thailand before? What were your favourite destinations?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kiddo!

    What a great update to your blog today! The way you describe life in your new home away from home, along with the pictures....well, it puts a smile on my face and helps me to "live" a little bit in this new and beautiful place you've discovered.

    I am so happy to read "Snowmen being built, snowballs flying through the air". I Love the picture of the children playing in the snow in the school yard. I can't help but feel a bit sad though......here, in Canada, where political correctness has a strangle hold on our society, many schools and school boards have forbidden the making of and throwing of snowballs in the school yard during recess, before and after school as well. I'm filled with such warm thoughts as I read of your first snowfall and the freedom your students enjoy to just be kids and experience life outside the classroom....Awesome!

    I'm packing up a Christmas gift parcel for you today....some things to place under your little tree :-)

    Looking forward to your next update!

    Love
    xo
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I had those same thoughts too! Even my principal at school was having a snowball fight with the kids- a sight you would probably never see in Canada! I couldn't help but think of how different things have become back home. Everything is so much more laid back here!

      Delete